UK: Clothing prices slump 7.7% in January
UK clothing prices suffered a historic decline of 7.7% in January as retailers slashed prices amid falling demand.
According to the monthly BRC-Nielsen Shop Price Index, the fall – the deepest since the index began more than six years ago – was the main contributory factor behind a 1.4% decline in non-food prices in January, following broadly flat figures in December.
That led to overall shop price inflation falling to 0.6% from 1.5% in December, the lowest figure since November 2009.
“The significant year-on-year fall in non-food prices was driven by cheaper clothing and electricals,” said Helen Dickinson, director general of the British Retail Consortium (BRC).
“Promotions were not as widespread as last year, a higher proportion of goods was sold at full price, boosting sales figures but, where discounts were applied, they were deeper.”
She added: “Weak demand for clothing necessitated big price cuts…But clothing suffered its worst sales fall since last Easter.”
The most significant downward pressure on pricing came from clothing accessories, children's wear and women's wear, with footwear and men's wear also providing some downward pressure, the BRC said.
Sharp falls in pricing were driven by discounting remaining winter stock to make room for spring/summer collections – but deflation is likely to slow during February as these promotions come to an end.
- Patagonia's CSR commitments re-shaping the sector
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Brands back Cambodia industry-wide wage bargaining
- Can robotics redefine apparel manufacturing?
- Athletic players well positioned amid disruption
- Unions agree proposed Cambodia minimum wage
- New CEO may focus on Ralph Lauren supply chain
- Patagonia ramps up Fair Trade Certified apparel
- Nike collaborates on low-impact textile challenge
- Old Navy's Larsson to replace Ralph Lauren as CEO
- The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields