UK: Clothing retail sales grow but at a slower pace
Clothing retail sales rose again in the year to March, albeit at a slower pace than the month before - but growth next month is expected to rebound strongly, new figures suggest.
The latest distributive trades survey from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) showed sales volumes at clothing retailers grew substantially in March, with a balance of respondents (+27%) reporting growth on a year ago.
However, this was a little slower than the balance of +33% who saw growth in February.
Across the survey as a whole, 36% of respondents reported that sales volumes were up on a year ago, while 23% said they were down - giving a balance of +13%. This marks year-on-year growth for the fourth month in a row.
Sales growth was weaker than last month's +37% - the strongest seen since the onset of the financial crisis - but is expected to pick up again in the year to April, the CBI said.
"It's promising to see a run of positive growth rates on the high street, with sales up on a year ago for the fourth month in a row," said Barry Williams, Asda chief merchandising officer for food, and chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel. "We're hopeful that this will continue, but there are still signs that this needs to be a cautious hope.
"The pace of growth has slowed, likely in part down to the later timing of Mother's Day and Easter this year - conversely, this is the same reason many retailers are looking forward to more robust growth next month."
Internet retail sales volumes continued to rise strongly in the year to March (+55%), with this the fastest pace in 11 months.
UK supermarket brand George at Asda is on a journey to a more sustainable supply chain through its Responsible Retail programme. Lynne Tooms, senior director of quality and sourcing, explains why reta...
Internet retailing continued to expand rapidly in the UK in 2013 as sales made from tablets and smartphones drove much of this growth. Multichannel retailing has become a central plank of the overall ...
The UK’s department stores are investing in the modernisation of their outlets with the aim of making them more attractive to consumers and incorporate aspects of multichannel retailing more effective...
The UK retailing industry registered positive growth in 2013 despite the fact that the economic climate in the country remained challenging as consumer spending habits remained under the influence of ...
Introduction Childrenswear in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and......
The report is a result of extensive research to provide a comprehensive understanding of the global private label market and packaging consumption; this clearly establishes market trends, packaging dy...
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- Asian union development and the Western response
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Eliminating risk tops sustainability agenda
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects