UK: Clothing retail sales grow but at a slower pace
Clothing retail sales rose again in the year to March, albeit at a slower pace than the month before - but growth next month is expected to rebound strongly, new figures suggest.
The latest distributive trades survey from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) showed sales volumes at clothing retailers grew substantially in March, with a balance of respondents (+27%) reporting growth on a year ago.
However, this was a little slower than the balance of +33% who saw growth in February.
Across the survey as a whole, 36% of respondents reported that sales volumes were up on a year ago, while 23% said they were down - giving a balance of +13%. This marks year-on-year growth for the fourth month in a row.
Sales growth was weaker than last month's +37% - the strongest seen since the onset of the financial crisis - but is expected to pick up again in the year to April, the CBI said.
"It's promising to see a run of positive growth rates on the high street, with sales up on a year ago for the fourth month in a row," said Barry Williams, Asda chief merchandising officer for food, and chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel. "We're hopeful that this will continue, but there are still signs that this needs to be a cautious hope.
"The pace of growth has slowed, likely in part down to the later timing of Mother's Day and Easter this year - conversely, this is the same reason many retailers are looking forward to more robust growth next month."
Internet retail sales volumes continued to rise strongly in the year to March (+55%), with this the fastest pace in 11 months.
UK supermarket brand George at Asda is on a journey to a more sustainable supply chain through its Responsible Retail programme. Lynne Tooms, senior director of quality and sourcing, explains why reta...
Introduction Childrenswear in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and......
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Bad sourcing blamed for pressure on retail margins
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Primark continues US expansion with third store
- $360m logistics investment to benefit Bangladesh
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)