UK: Clothing retail sales grow but at a slower pace
Clothing retail sales rose again in the year to March, albeit at a slower pace than the month before - but growth next month is expected to rebound strongly, new figures suggest.
The latest distributive trades survey from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) showed sales volumes at clothing retailers grew substantially in March, with a balance of respondents (+27%) reporting growth on a year ago.
However, this was a little slower than the balance of +33% who saw growth in February.
Across the survey as a whole, 36% of respondents reported that sales volumes were up on a year ago, while 23% said they were down - giving a balance of +13%. This marks year-on-year growth for the fourth month in a row.
Sales growth was weaker than last month's +37% - the strongest seen since the onset of the financial crisis - but is expected to pick up again in the year to April, the CBI said.
"It's promising to see a run of positive growth rates on the high street, with sales up on a year ago for the fourth month in a row," said Barry Williams, Asda chief merchandising officer for food, and chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel. "We're hopeful that this will continue, but there are still signs that this needs to be a cautious hope.
"The pace of growth has slowed, likely in part down to the later timing of Mother's Day and Easter this year - conversely, this is the same reason many retailers are looking forward to more robust growth next month."
Internet retail sales volumes continued to rise strongly in the year to March (+55%), with this the fastest pace in 11 months.
Asda Stores Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
ASDA Stores Limited - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed ...
Sales of apparel specialist retailers were affected by the wet weather characterising the British summer in 2012, which discouraged consumers from buying spring/summer collections. On the other hand, ...
Internet and catalogue retailer N Brown has tapped Andy Haywood as its new chief information officer as it works to transform, modernise and grow the business....
Apparel and footwear specialist retailers in the UK recorded sluggish growth in sales in 2013 as the trading environment in non-grocery retailing across much of the UK remained challenging. As well as...
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Apparel industry not immune from Russia tensions
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cotton prices set to slip on China policy change
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey