US: Clothing retail sales show no momentum in May
Sales at clothing and clothing accessories stores were lower than April but higher than May last year
Despite ongoing hopes of positive growth for US retail sales during the rest of the year, performance during May was "disappointing" and weaker than expected, the latest data shows.
According to the latest figures from the Commerce Department, which include cars, gasoline and restaurants, May retail sales climbed 0.4% from April, and were up 4.3% year-on-year.
But sales at clothing and clothing accessories stores edged down 0.6% month-on-month, and increased 1.4% year-on-year.
Sales at general merchandise stores slipped 0.6% from April, but climbed 0.9% on May last year. Department stores reported a 1.4% fall in sales month-on-month, and a 2% drop year-on-year.
For sporting goods, hobby, book and music stores, sales were 0.09% lower than April, and 1.5% below May last year.
Separate figures from the National Retail Federation (NRF), which exclude automobiles, gas stations and restaurants, showed retail sales were unchanged from April, but grew 3% unadjusted year-on-year.
"On the surface, May retail sales were disappointing and weaker than expected; however April's upward revisions still indicate positive growth for the remainder of the year," said NRF chief economist Jack Kleinhenz.
"The economic fundamentals - consumer confidence, employment and income - remain strong."
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Colombia faces challenges in fashion export drive
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- Practical Price Negotiation