UK: Clothing sales bounce back in July
Warmer weather helped clothing sales to bounce back in July
Sales bounced back at UK clothing stores in July thanks to warmer weather, new figures suggest, with growth set to be even stronger in August.
According to the latest monthly Distributive Trades Survey from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), June sales volumes at clothing retailers rebounded, with a balance of respondents (+45%) reporting growth on a year ago.
This compares to the 17% decline seen in June.
Meanwhile, a balance of 74% of footwear and leather retailers reported growth in the period, down from 100% last month.
Overall sales bounced back, with 46% of retailers saying sales volumes rose in the three months to July, while 25% said they fell, giving a balance of +21%. This exceeded expectations (+17%) and compares with a balance of +4% in June.
"As the temperature began to rise, it seems so did sales volumes," said Barry Williams, chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel and Asda SVP and chief merchandising officer for food.
"Almost all sectors saw growth, with grocers and clothing stores telling us they performed particularly well as people bought barbeque supplies and summer outfits.
"Retailers expect an even faster rise in sales volumes next month, and are stocking up in anticipation of growing demand."
Internet sales volumes in the retail sector also rose solidly - (+37%), broadly in line with expectations (+40%), but below the long-run average of +51%.
Asda Stores Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Internet and catalogue retailer N Brown has tapped Andy Haywood as its new chief information officer as it works to transform, modernise and grow the business....
ASDA Stores Limited - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed ...
Sales of apparel specialist retailers were affected by the wet weather characterising the British summer in 2012, which discouraged consumers from buying spring/summer collections. On the other hand, ...
The first fall in demand for clothing since the start of the year weighed on UK retail sales growth in June, according to new figures, although the pace is expected to pick up again next month....
Apparel and footwear specialist retailers in the UK recorded sluggish growth in sales in 2013 as the trading environment in non-grocery retailing across much of the UK remained challenging. As well as...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details