UK: Clothing sales bounce back in July
Warmer weather helped clothing sales to bounce back in July
Sales bounced back at UK clothing stores in July thanks to warmer weather, new figures suggest, with growth set to be even stronger in August.
According to the latest monthly Distributive Trades Survey from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), June sales volumes at clothing retailers rebounded, with a balance of respondents (+45%) reporting growth on a year ago.
This compares to the 17% decline seen in June.
Meanwhile, a balance of 74% of footwear and leather retailers reported growth in the period, down from 100% last month.
Overall sales bounced back, with 46% of retailers saying sales volumes rose in the three months to July, while 25% said they fell, giving a balance of +21%. This exceeded expectations (+17%) and compares with a balance of +4% in June.
"As the temperature began to rise, it seems so did sales volumes," said Barry Williams, chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel and Asda SVP and chief merchandising officer for food.
"Almost all sectors saw growth, with grocers and clothing stores telling us they performed particularly well as people bought barbeque supplies and summer outfits.
"Retailers expect an even faster rise in sales volumes next month, and are stocking up in anticipation of growing demand."
Internet sales volumes in the retail sector also rose solidly - (+37%), broadly in line with expectations (+40%), but below the long-run average of +51%.
2014 was something of a positive year for apparel and footwear specialist retailers in relation to the review period. Consumer confidence improved, which made shoppers feel less guilty about purchasin...
Internet retailing continued to expand rapidly in the UK in 2013 as sales made from tablets and smartphones drove much of this growth. Multichannel retailing has become a central plank of the overall ...
The UK’s department stores are investing in the modernisation of their outlets with the aim of making them more attractive to consumers and incorporate aspects of multichannel retailing more effective...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Hong Kong industry pins future on innovation
- Asian union development: is there another way?
- US Q2 in brief: Guess, PVH, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019