UK: Clothing sales bounce back in July
Warmer weather helped clothing sales to bounce back in July
Sales bounced back at UK clothing stores in July thanks to warmer weather, new figures suggest, with growth set to be even stronger in August.
According to the latest monthly Distributive Trades Survey from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), June sales volumes at clothing retailers rebounded, with a balance of respondents (+45%) reporting growth on a year ago.
This compares to the 17% decline seen in June.
Meanwhile, a balance of 74% of footwear and leather retailers reported growth in the period, down from 100% last month.
Overall sales bounced back, with 46% of retailers saying sales volumes rose in the three months to July, while 25% said they fell, giving a balance of +21%. This exceeded expectations (+17%) and compares with a balance of +4% in June.
"As the temperature began to rise, it seems so did sales volumes," said Barry Williams, chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel and Asda SVP and chief merchandising officer for food.
"Almost all sectors saw growth, with grocers and clothing stores telling us they performed particularly well as people bought barbeque supplies and summer outfits.
"Retailers expect an even faster rise in sales volumes next month, and are stocking up in anticipation of growing demand."
Internet sales volumes in the retail sector also rose solidly - (+37%), broadly in line with expectations (+40%), but below the long-run average of +51%.
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Retailers warned of high volatility in Brexit wake
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- Under Armour opens manufacturing innovation hub
- Online fabric platform to "revolutionise" buying
- Uniqlo said to be scaling back US expansion
- Better Work Vietnam launches labour law mobile app
- UK must act with urgency to cut Brexit uncertainty
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts