UK: Clothing sales record strong finish to the year
Clothing had a strong finish to the year as December retail sales in the UK increased 1.8% on last year, but only 0.4% on a like-for-like basis.
Higher confidence levels and a last-minute rush gave a major boost to sales in the final few days before Christmas, according to figures from the BRC/KPMG Retail Sales Monitor. Non-food sales were up 19.2%.
"This is a respectable result overall, in line with our prediction that Christmas trading in 2013 would reflect that while confidence levels were higher than the previous year, this wasn't always matched by more money in pockets," Helen Dickinson, director general at BRC.
"With budgets still under pressure, many shoppers economised where they could to afford a little luxury here and there, and practical gifts such as bedroom furniture, children's clothing and kitchen appliances also proved popular."
Conlumino managing director Neil Saunders said the standout performance in the period came from the internet.
"The online nature of this Christmas was evidenced in the 19.2% increase in online sales compared to last year; this was the biggest increase in online sales recorded since March 2010. Part of the dramatic rise in online was thanks to click and collect which grew strongly from last year and allowed consumers to order from the internet much later than has traditionally been the case.
"In short, December rounded off the retail year in a relatively positive fashion. Sales may not have gone out with a bang, but they didn't go out with a whimper either; they merely confirm that growth is now steady, but sustainable."
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- US cotton production set to decline
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details