UK: Clothing weighs on Marks & Spencer Q3 sales
- Reports 1.8% fall in Q3 like-for-like UK sales
- General merchandise like-for-likes drop 3.8%
- GM performance "is not yet satisfactory"
M&S UK like-for-like general merchandise sales fell 3.8% over the key Christmas trading period
Retailer Marks & Spencer has reported worse-than-expected third-quarter sales figures, with a poor performance in its general merchandise business - which includes clothing and footwear - offsetting strong demand for food.
The company, which was forced to release its results early after they were leaked on Wednesday night, reported a 1.8% fall in like-for-like UK sales for the 13 weeks to 29 December.
A 0.3% rise in food sales was offset by a 3.8% drop in general merchandise.
Total UK sales edged up by 0.3%, with a 2.7% rise in food again offset by a 2.2% fall in general merchandise. Group net sales crept up by just 0.6% versus the same period of the previous year.
The firm said its international business saw sales rise by 4.1% on a constant currency basis, but, in reality, international sales were flat due to weakness in the Euro.
It also said it was "pleased" with a 10.8% jump in multi-channel sales.
"Our general merchandise performance is not yet satisfactory but we are confident that the steps being taken by the new management team will address this," said chief executive Marc Bolland.
M&S last year realigned its general merchandise management team under executive director John Dixon, and includes style director Belinda Earl, Stephanie Chen who is running kids and home, Scott Fyfe as director of menswear, and Frances Russell as director of womenswear.
"In a challenging and highly promotional general merchandise market, we delivered fewer but more targeted promotions, with a focus on full price sales," Bolland added.
"The new general merchandise management team, which started recently, has managed stocks tightly, resulting in slightly less stock into the Christmas sale, and a clean position at the end of the quarter.
"Our spring/summer season, which launches in stores this week, has been well received by the fashion press, and as previously announced, the new team's first seasonal collection will be in store from July with the launch of our new autumn/winter collection."
Looking ahead, the retailer said it expects pressure on consumers' disposable incomes to continue in 2013, and remains cautious in its outlook for the year.
Click here to see what analysts have to say about M&S's trading update.
The industry report Database of the Top Women's and Girls' Cut and Sew Dress Producers in the World - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details offers the most up-to-da...
Clothing retailers met with UK government representatives yesterday (3 July) to discuss ways to improve their supply chains following the collapse of the Rana Plaza apparel factory building in Banglad...
German-based specialty chemicals supplier Pulcra Chemicals has acquired the Skintex cosmetotextiles business from chemicals giant BASF....
Textile technology company Royal Ten Cate has put its first digital inkjet finishing machine into operation at its TenCate Protective & Outdoor Fabrics site in Nijverdal in the Netherlands....
Spanish retail group Inditex is in the process of rolling out a new store image for its off-price brand Lefties - but has denied that it will relaunch the whole chain....
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report