US: Coach Q2 earnings and sales tumble
North America sales were impacted by substantially lower traffic in stores
Upscale footwear, handbags and accessories retailer Coach Inc has booked a drop in second-quarter earnings and sales on the back of weakness in its North American business.
In the three months ended 28 December, net income dropped 15.8% to US$297m from $353m a year earlier.
Gross margin was 69.2% versus 72.2% reported in the prior year period.
Sales in the quarter also fell, to $1.42bn from $1.5bn in the comparable period of fiscal 2012.
"During the holiday quarter, total sales fell slightly in constant currency as weakness in our North American women's bag and accessories business offset strong growth in men's, footwear, and robust results in emerging Asian markets and Europe," said Coach CEO Victor Luis.
"We continued to be disappointed by our performance in North America, which was impacted by substantially lower traffic in our stores and by our decision to limit access to our e-factory flash sales site."
Coach Inc saw both earnings and sales slide in its third-quarter as weakness in its North America accessories division offset strong growth in men's footwear and robust growth in Asia and Europe....
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Diversification a key focus for Under Armour
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Open markets key for US apparel workers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges