US: Coach Q2 earnings and sales tumble
North America sales were impacted by substantially lower traffic in stores
Upscale footwear, handbags and accessories retailer Coach Inc has booked a drop in second-quarter earnings and sales on the back of weakness in its North American business.
In the three months ended 28 December, net income dropped 15.8% to US$297m from $353m a year earlier.
Gross margin was 69.2% versus 72.2% reported in the prior year period.
Sales in the quarter also fell, to $1.42bn from $1.5bn in the comparable period of fiscal 2012.
"During the holiday quarter, total sales fell slightly in constant currency as weakness in our North American women's bag and accessories business offset strong growth in men's, footwear, and robust results in emerging Asian markets and Europe," said Coach CEO Victor Luis.
"We continued to be disappointed by our performance in North America, which was impacted by substantially lower traffic in our stores and by our decision to limit access to our e-factory flash sales site."
Vital industry-specific data including metrics, benchmarks, historic numbers, growth rates and forecasts that will save countless hours of research....
Sycamore Partners, the owner of Stuart Weitzman Holdings, has declined to comment on reports it has been working on a deal for a sale of the company to footwear business Brown Shoe Company....
- Trump’s China tariff a self-serving sound-bite
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Bad sourcing blamed for pressure on retail margins
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Primark continues US expansion with third store
- $360m logistics investment to benefit Bangladesh
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)