US: Coach Q3 earnings tumble on accessory weakness
- Q3 earnings down to $191m
- Gross margin narrowed 71.1%
- Sales fall 7%
Coach Inc saw both earnings and sales slide in its third-quarter as weakness in its North America accessories division offset strong growth in men's footwear and robust growth in Asia and Europe.
The US footwear, handbags and accessories retailer reported earnings of US$191m in the three months ended 29 March. This compared to earnings of $239m a year earlier.
Gross margin narrowed to 71.1% versus 74.1% in the prior year period, while sales fell 7% to $1.10bn.
CEO Victor Luis, said: "Our business in North America remained challenging in the period, exacerbated by the weather and shift of the Easter holiday. We experienced sharply lower traffic levels in our stores while our internet results were impacted by our strategic decisions to eliminate third party events, as well as limit the access and invitations to our factory flash site.
"At the same time, China results remained resilient with total sales growing over 25% and comparable store sales rising at a double-digit rate. Importantly, we continued to advance our transformation initiatives across all consumer touchpoints, including our first ever New York Fashion Week presentation in February."
Canadean's "Coach, Inc. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, ...
Sycamore Partners, the owner of Stuart Weitzman Holdings, has declined to comment on reports it has been working on a deal for a sale of the company to footwear business Brown Shoe Company....
Vital industry-specific data including metrics, benchmarks, historic numbers, growth rates and forecasts that will save countless hours of research....
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- US West Coast port contract reached
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide