SWEDEN: Cold Christmas For Clothing
Clothes sales slumped in Sweden last month and expectations of increased sales over the Christmas period were unfulfilled.
"Besides the mild weather, we have noticed consumers' decreasing will to buy," said Åsa Lindell Byström, PR manager for Lindex. "It's trendier to buy a DVD player than a pair of pyjamas."
December is an important time of year for clothing retailers, with sales reaching about 14 per cent of annual clothing figures. December 2000, sales were reduced 3.5 per cent, according to Swedish trade institute HUI's Footwear and Clothing (Stil) index. Dresses sales were hit hardest by the mild weather, while ready-to-wear and suits sank five per cent. Meanwhile shoe sales increased 4.5 per cent compared with the same month the previous year.
The mild weather has hit sales hard. "Those who buy fashion bought their jackets and coats in September," said Åke Weyler, MD of the Shoe and Textile Businesses Association, "but most consumers buy replacements or necessity purchases, and they have not bought very much."
Sales for the total year were 3.5 per cent up on 1999.
By Penny Leese
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
It's not easy being green, but garment manufacturers are taking small steps towards offering eco-friendly apparel. Driven by consumer concerns about health and the environment, eco-friendly fabrics an...
European polyester producer AdvanSA has introduced Coolmax into the women's ready-to-wear market....
Fibre giant Invista has spun off its electro-textile arm after securing investor financing....
French fashion designer Christian Lacroix has confirmed that he will remain at the label with the same name, drawing to a close ongoing speculation that he would quit after the business was bought by ...
Roberto Menichetti, artistic director of the Celine fashion label, is stepping down from his position....
Branded clothing company Jones Apparel Group Inc said it saw a better-than-expected first quarter, primarily due to a good performance of its wholesale business....
Ladies' wear chain Camaieu SA said turnover rose 13.1 per cent to €93.4 million during the first quarter of 2005....
Tom Ford and Domenico De Sole, who left Gucci last year after drastically turning around its fortunes, have launched a new luxury brand under designer Tom Ford's name....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022