US: Cold winter cuts retail sales growth forecast
US retail sales are set to grow at a lower rate than first thought this year, hurt by the severe winter weather, but are likely to grow "significantly" faster in the second half.
The forecast comes from the National Retail Federation (NRF), which in January expected retail sales to increase 4.1% in 2014 over last year, but yesterday (23 July) lowered the figure to 3.6%.
Excluding automobiles, gasoline stations, and restaurants, US retail sales grew 2.9% during the first half of the year, the NRF said, but are expected to grow at least 3.9% in the second half.
"No retailer was immune to the doldrums witnessed during the first quarter, and as a result, the year's growth trajectory was impacted," said NRF president and CEO Matthew Shay.
"That said, there is plenty of evidence that the second half of the year will be better for the industry as consumers begin to feel more optimistic about their spending decisions.
"And though we maintain realistic expectations of retail sales growth in 2014, we are optimistic that the chances for a stronger economy still exist."
NRF chief conomist Jack Kleinhenz added: "The severe weather and other factors we experienced earlier this year have taken their toll on retail, but most of those problems are behind us.
"A second look at our forecast shifted our expectations slightly, but it's important to note that the outlook is positive. Sales are growing and we expect them to continue at a moderate pace."
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- US apparel retailers' August 2014 sales roundup
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details