AUSTRALIA: Coles Myer Axes 1000 Jobs
CEO John Fletcher said the jobs would be axed in the first stage of a major business-wide shake-up across the company's merchandising and apparel group. 'Operation Right Now', as the initiative is termed, will generate cost savings of at least $90 million a year for general merchandise and apparel (GM&A) by the end of 2004.
"There are immediate opportunities to improve the company through greater operational efficiencies across all of the Coles Myer group," he explained. "A long-term strategy review will build on the work now underway and we expect to outline the results of that review during the first quarter of calendar year 2002."
The Melbourne-based retailer has made three profit warnings this year, and Mr Fletcher added that the underlying performance of GM&A brands must be improved before any decision is made. Changes will focus on eliminating duplications in supply chain management, merchandise systems, processes and operational structures.
About 30 per cent of GM&A head office support staff will be shed.
Martin Foley, spokesman for the Australian Services Union (ASU), claimed Coles Myer had hired security staff to escort sacked staff off the premises.
To view related research reports, please follow the links below:-
Companies: Sears Holdings Corporation
Wal-Mart is famous for its everyday low prices. The world's largest company continues to dramatically transform the retail landscape by exploring new growth avenues, selling new categories of merchand...
Sears Holdings' Kmart subsidiary is to axe an unspecified number of workers as it revises staff levels at its 1,400 stores, according to press reports....
Up to 150,000 employees and retirees of former retailer Kmart have been awarded US$11.75m as part of a lawsuit settlement over the investment of pension funds, Associated Press reported....
Apparel maker Lands' End's president and chief executive officer is leaving the company less than two year after she took the role on....
Cut-price footwear retailer Footstar Inc has selcted 4R Systems Inc's 4R application to help them achieve the appropriate choice of case-pack design, and quantities that provide the maximum flexibilit...
Casual apparel company Levi Strauss & Co has named John Goodman as president of the US Dockers business, effective 6 June....
Sears Holdings Corp and Latina Media Ventures, which publishes Latina magazine, have signed a deal to launch an apparel, footwear and bag collection aimed at Hispanic women....
Chief executive of US department store operator JC Penney, Myron Ullman, says the company is to turn its focus to mid-income shoppers who are forming an available market niche due to mergers among its...
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Where next for retailers in a saturated market?
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Inventory risk shifts in favour of retailers
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020