AUSTRALIA: Coles Myer Axes 1000 Jobs
CEO John Fletcher said the jobs would be axed in the first stage of a major business-wide shake-up across the company's merchandising and apparel group. 'Operation Right Now', as the initiative is termed, will generate cost savings of at least $90 million a year for general merchandise and apparel (GM&A) by the end of 2004.
"There are immediate opportunities to improve the company through greater operational efficiencies across all of the Coles Myer group," he explained. "A long-term strategy review will build on the work now underway and we expect to outline the results of that review during the first quarter of calendar year 2002."
The Melbourne-based retailer has made three profit warnings this year, and Mr Fletcher added that the underlying performance of GM&A brands must be improved before any decision is made. Changes will focus on eliminating duplications in supply chain management, merchandise systems, processes and operational structures.
About 30 per cent of GM&A head office support staff will be shed.
Martin Foley, spokesman for the Australian Services Union (ASU), claimed Coles Myer had hired security staff to escort sacked staff off the premises.
To view related research reports, please follow the links below:-
Companies: Sears Holdings Corporation
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Wal-Mart is famous for its everyday low prices. The world's largest company continues to dramatically transform the retail landscape by exploring new growth avenues, selling new categories of merchand...
Sears Holdings' Kmart subsidiary is to axe an unspecified number of workers as it revises staff levels at its 1,400 stores, according to press reports....
Up to 150,000 employees and retirees of former retailer Kmart have been awarded US$11.75m as part of a lawsuit settlement over the investment of pension funds, Associated Press reported....
Apparel maker Lands' End's president and chief executive officer is leaving the company less than two year after she took the role on....
Cut-price footwear retailer Footstar Inc has selcted 4R Systems Inc's 4R application to help them achieve the appropriate choice of case-pack design, and quantities that provide the maximum flexibilit...
Casual apparel company Levi Strauss & Co has named John Goodman as president of the US Dockers business, effective 6 June....
Sears Holdings Corp and Latina Media Ventures, which publishes Latina magazine, have signed a deal to launch an apparel, footwear and bag collection aimed at Hispanic women....
Chief executive of US department store operator JC Penney, Myron Ullman, says the company is to turn its focus to mid-income shoppers who are forming an available market niche due to mergers among its...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022