US: Collective Brands cuts Q4 loss as margins rise
- Q4 net loss US$10.9m, compared to $144m
- FY net profit $82.7m, compared to $68.7m loss
- CEO hails improved consumer focus
Footwear retailer Collective Brands saw its fourth quarter loss narrow to US$10.9m, compared to $144m last year, as an improved customer focus led to fatter margins.
The company said sales in the three months to 30 January had risen 0.9%, or 3.3% after adjustments, to $741.7m, with comparable store sales up 0.7%.
For the full year, the company posted net earnings of $82.7m, versus a net loss of $68.7m in fiscal 2008.
Sales fell 3.9%, or 1.7% after adjustments, to $3.31bn, while comparable store sales declined 2.3%.
“Our results were strong as we delivered fresh, innovative product throughout our portfolio of brands both domestically and internationally,” said Matthew Rubel, chairman, CEO and president.
“This focus on the consumer led to improved gross margins that, combined with actions that lowered operating costs, drove an 11% increase in adjusted operating profit for the year.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Footwear business Collective Brands reported a healthy increase in second quarter profit, despite basically static sales figures....
US-based footwear company Collective Brands has bolstered its set-up in Europe to take advantage of growing demand for brands like Saucony, Keds, Sperry Top-Sider, Stride Rite and Robeez....
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective