US: Columbia lowers Q4 sales and earnings expectations
Outdoor apparel and footwear business Columbia Sportswear lowered its fourth quarter sales and earnings forecasts, blaming reduced customer traffic and mild weather.
After forecasting sales growth of up to 1.5% in October, Columbia now expects net sales to fall 5% to US$499-503m in the three months to 31 December.
Gross margins are expected to decline 120-130 basis points to 41.2-41.3%, well above previous forecasts of a 50-75 point fall.
Net income, however, is still expected to be slightly up on last year at $37-40m, thanks to a lower than expected income tax rate, but down on the previous estimate of $44m.
Columbia blamed the downgrade on mild winter weather in North America, consumer caution and reduced retail traffic, as well as a more promotional environment.
The company also pointed to lower-than-expected direct sales, higher order cancellations, fewer wholesale reorders and a timing shift in shipments.
Columbia Sportswear is shifting to a joint venture model in China through a partnership with distributor Swire Resources. ...
Outdoor apparel footwear firm Columbia Sportswear has appointed former Mexx executive Shawn Cox to the newly-created position of senior vice president of retail....
Columbia Sportswear has lowered its full year sales outlook, despite first quarter net income soaring as cold weather helped it to liquidate additional fall season inventory. ...
A lawsuit that was filed against outdoor apparel and footwear firm Columbia Sportswear Company over its heated clothing has been withdrawn....
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry