US: Columbia lowers Q4 sales and earnings expectations
Outdoor apparel and footwear business Columbia Sportswear lowered its fourth quarter sales and earnings forecasts, blaming reduced customer traffic and mild weather.
After forecasting sales growth of up to 1.5% in October, Columbia now expects net sales to fall 5% to US$499-503m in the three months to 31 December.
Gross margins are expected to decline 120-130 basis points to 41.2-41.3%, well above previous forecasts of a 50-75 point fall.
Net income, however, is still expected to be slightly up on last year at $37-40m, thanks to a lower than expected income tax rate, but down on the previous estimate of $44m.
Columbia blamed the downgrade on mild winter weather in North America, consumer caution and reduced retail traffic, as well as a more promotional environment.
The company also pointed to lower-than-expected direct sales, higher order cancellations, fewer wholesale reorders and a timing shift in shipments.
Columbia Sportswear is shifting to a joint venture model in China through a partnership with distributor Swire Resources. ...
Outdoor apparel footwear firm Columbia Sportswear has appointed former Mexx executive Shawn Cox to the newly-created position of senior vice president of retail....
Columbia Sportswear has lowered its full year sales outlook, despite first quarter net income soaring as cold weather helped it to liquidate additional fall season inventory. ...
A lawsuit that was filed against outdoor apparel and footwear firm Columbia Sportswear Company over its heated clothing has been withdrawn....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019