US: Columbia lowers Q4 sales and earnings expectations
Outdoor apparel and footwear business Columbia Sportswear lowered its fourth quarter sales and earnings forecasts, blaming reduced customer traffic and mild weather.
After forecasting sales growth of up to 1.5% in October, Columbia now expects net sales to fall 5% to US$499-503m in the three months to 31 December.
Gross margins are expected to decline 120-130 basis points to 41.2-41.3%, well above previous forecasts of a 50-75 point fall.
Net income, however, is still expected to be slightly up on last year at $37-40m, thanks to a lower than expected income tax rate, but down on the previous estimate of $44m.
Columbia blamed the downgrade on mild winter weather in North America, consumer caution and reduced retail traffic, as well as a more promotional environment.
The company also pointed to lower-than-expected direct sales, higher order cancellations, fewer wholesale reorders and a timing shift in shipments.
Columbia Sportswear is shifting to a joint venture model in China through a partnership with distributor Swire Resources. ...
The growing interest in nature and outdoor activities coupled with an increased awareness of the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle has raised the profile of the performance outdoor apparel...
Outdoor apparel footwear firm Columbia Sportswear has appointed former Mexx executive Shawn Cox to the newly-created position of senior vice president of retail....
This report includes new information on the latest developments in: cosmetotextiles; e-commerce technology; environmentally friendly apparel, fibres, and finishing treatments; fabrics for performance ...
Columbia Sportswear has lowered its full year sales outlook, despite first quarter net income soaring as cold weather helped it to liquidate additional fall season inventory. ...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corpora...
A lawsuit that was filed against outdoor apparel and footwear firm Columbia Sportswear Company over its heated clothing has been withdrawn....
This report provides information on the latest developments in: antimicrobial sewing thread; carbon nanotube fibres; compression garments; environmentally friendly finishing treatments; environmentall...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report