US: Columbia Q3 profit soars on international growth
- Q3 net profit up 29% to US$67.5m
- Net sales up 12% to $566.8m
- CEO highlights “improved operational execution”
Strong growth in international markets helped apparel group Columbia Sportswear Company to report a 29% surge in third quarter profit and double-digit sales growth.
The performance was led by the company’s Sorel brand, which saw a 116% revenue increase off a small base, while sales for the core Columbia brand were up 4% and Mountain Hardwear revenues rose 17%.
All geographical divisions recorded revenue growth, led by EMEA (up 51%) and LAAP (up 23%), while growth was more subdued in the US (up 2%) and Canada (up 13%).
Footwear sales surged up 55% and accessories and equipment revenues were up 23%, but outerwear was flat and sportswear increased by 7%.
“Our third quarter sales growth reflects the previously reported increase in our fall season backlog, as well as strong performance in our global direct-to-consumer business,” said Tim Boyle, Columbia president and CEO.
“Improved operational execution resulted in a significant reduction in airfreight costs and produced meaningful operating margin leverage.
“Our increased profitability outlook for the full year reflects the strength of the third quarter and our expectations for continued growth through the remainder of the year.”
Columbia expects full-year net sales to rise by 15-16%, following a predicted 18-20% revenue surge in the fourth quarter.
Private-equity firm Altor has remained coy on reports that it plans to put outdoor clothing brand Helly Hansen up for sale this week. ...
A lawsuit has been filed against Columbia Sportswear by Eugene-based Innovative Sports over heated clothing....
Top stories on just-style this week included news that a coalition of industry groups is calling for an to end violent unrest in Cambodia, the Indian government's plans to partially roll back its cott...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies