US: Columbia Sportswear lifts FY view as Q3 profit slips
- Q3 profit slipped 4.7% to $64.4m
- Sales down 3.8% to $545m
- CEO expects continued slow growth
Outdoor apparel and footwear firm Columbia Sportswear has raised its full-year earnings outlook despite posting a 4.7% decline in third-quarter net profit.
Net income fell to US$64.4m for the quarter ended 30 September, compared to $67.5m the prior year. The company said a higher effective tax rate contributed $0.11 to the decline.
Operating income increased to $87.8m, compared to $86.6m the same period last year, while sales slipped 3.8% to $545m.
"Our third quarter benefited from improved gross margins and disciplined expense management, resulting in higher operating margin and further demonstrating our ability to navigate effectively through a slow-growth environment," noted CEO and president Tim Boyle.
"We are pleased to raise our 2012 operating margin outlook based on better-than-expected results through the first nine months of the year."
"Looking ahead to 2013, we anticipate continued slow growth through at least the first half of the year, based in part on advance spring 2013 wholesale orders, the fragile US recovery, continued uncertainty in Europe, and signs of slowing in key Asian markets."
The company said it expects full-year net sales to match last year's $1.7bn, with operating margin edging up to 8.3% from 8.1% last year.
A lawsuit that was filed against outdoor apparel and footwear firm Columbia Sportswear Company over its heated clothing has been withdrawn....
This report includes new information on the latest developments in: cosmetotextiles; e-commerce technology; environmentally friendly apparel, fibres, and finishing treatments; fabrics for performance ...
Columbia Sportswear Company has introduced a sweat-activated cooling technology, called Omni-Freeze Zero. ...
The growing interest in nature and outdoor activities coupled with an increased awareness of the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle has raised the profile of the performance outdoor apparel...
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Hanesbrands praises supply chain efficiency
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Macy’s increases sustainability efforts
- Wal-Mart replaces US division chief
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry