USA: Columbia Sportswear to Acquire Sorel Brand
International outdoor apparel and footwear manufacturer Columbia Sportswear Company (Nasdaq:COLM - news) announced yesterday that it is acquiring the Sorel trademark rights, associated brand names and other related intellectual property rights for approximately $8m in cash. The acquisition will be financed with operating cash flow. "Internationally, the Sorel name has been associated with the design and creation of durable, cold-weather footwear for nearly 40 years," said Tim Boyle, Columbia's president and chief executive officer. "Sorel's reputation as a quality, value-oriented brand is a superb fit with Columbia's footwear business. This acquisition will enable us to leverage our competitive advantages in sourcing and allow us to explore new channels of retail distribution without compromising the Columbia Sportswear brand. It's an excellent way to enhance the growth of our business in the rugged, cold-weather boot market." The transaction, which is subject to certain conditions that include approval by the bankruptcy judge of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, is expected to close in early September 2000. William H Kaufman Inc, owner of the Sorel brand, recently entered bankruptcy proceedings. The company's assets, including inventory, equipment and real property were offered for sale individually or as a group. Columbia chose only to acquire the Sorel brand.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack