BANGLADESH: Committees to probe Tazreen Fashion fire
Three committees have been set up by the Bangladesh government and private sector to investigate the devastating garment factory fire that killed 111 workers at the weekend.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has been asked to submit a report to the authorities within 15 days, while the Bangladesh Fire Service and Civil Defence team has been three days to report its findings.
As well as ascertaining the cause of the fire, which raged through Tazreen Fashion near Dhaka, the committees have also been asked to identify those responsible of the incident. Recommendations will also be submitted in an effort to ensure no such incident happens again.
Meanwhile, the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) has formed a four-member committee, headed by its vice president of finance, S M Mannan (Kochi), to look into the fire.
"We've already started investigating the incident," Kochi told just-style today (26 November), adding that workers who fled the burning factory have already been spoken with.
"We expect the committee will submit its report with recommendations within the next five days," he noted.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Direct sourcing helps M&S narrow the gap with Next
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Practical Price Negotiation
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020