USA: Cone Mills Eyes Denim Expansion, Seeks Financing
Cone, the world's largest producer of denim fabrics, reported a net income of $1.8 million for the first quarter of 2003, up from $1.4 million or $.02 per share for the first quarter of 2002.
Net sales for the Greensboro, NC headquartered business in the first quarter of 2003 were down by 3.4 per cent to $102.3 million from $105.8 million on lower sales volume in both the commission finishing and decorative fabrics segments.
Denim sales for the first quarter of 2003 were $84.3 million, an increase of 2.7 per cent over the comparable 2002 quarter. The increase in denim sales was a result of a more value-added product mix since unit volume was up only marginally on a quarter-over-quarter comparison the company said.
Operating income for the denim segment was $7.7 million in the first quarter of 2003, as compared to $5.8 million in the first quarter of 2002.
According to John L Bakane, CEO: "Following five quarters of solid performance, we now see structural weaknesses in the US economy weighing more heavily upon our outlook. Despite the deteriorating economic outlook and continued apprehension in textile credit markets, opportunities are evolving that may better fit our needs for expansion of regional low-cost denim capacity."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts