UK: Consumer confidence remains flat in June
UK consumer confidence has remained stagnant in June, despite a forecast boost from the Jubilee celebrations, according to figures from research firm GfK.
The overall consumer confidence index score stayed at -29 in June, according to the GfK's Consumer Confidence survey.
During the last 12 months, the index measuring changes in personal finances and the country's general economic situation, remained static at -23 and -58 respectively.
The major purchases measure increased four points in June to -28, one point lower than this time last year. Meanwhile, the 'now is a good time to save' index, increased five points to -11, two points lower than in June last year.
"Any suggestions that consumer confidence would receive a 'Royal bounce' from the Jubilee, as it did from William and Kate's wedding last year, have been proven wrong," said Nick Moon, managing director of Social Research at GfK. "The Index remains the same this month - with the poor weather possibly off-setting any positives from the long Bank Holiday.
"There has never been a year where the figures have remained so flat. The stagnant level of consumer confidence suggests that the public is stuck in a period of constant depression, which it is finding very hard to snap out of."
Over the next 12 months, the forecast for personal finances remains the same in June at -9, one point lower than this time last year, . While expectations for the general economic situation fell five points to -31, 13 points lower than June last year.
The UK Consumer Confidence survey conducted on a sample of 2,003 individuals aged 16 and above.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Kohl's, L Brands
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022