UK: Consumer confidence returning on clothing spend
Fewer people are cutting back on clothing spend, despite overall UK consumer confidence dipping for the first time in 12 months, according to new figures.
Falling inflation has helped reduce downward pressure on discretionary spending, research by Deloitte has revealed. Sentiment in categories such as clothing dropped to 3% in the fourth quarter. This compares to a larger fall of 7% in the previous quarter.
The figures show that overall, consumer confidence has suffered a setback for the first time in 12 months as UK shoppers become savvier with their budgets.
Consumer confidence dipped 11% in the fourth quarter, compared to 8% in the previous quarter.
"In a sign of the headwinds facing the consumer sector, the number of pessimists continues to outnumber the optimists across all measures of confidence in our survey," said Ian Stewart, chief economist at Deloitte.
"Weak wage growth in particular is still putting pressure on household budgets. Recent gains in consumer spending have been largely fuelled by people dipping into their savings, higher levels of borrowing and lower inflation, rather than an increase in real disposable income."
The fall, however, is likely to be a temporary set-back, Deloitte says, as an improving economy is expected to help lift real incomes this year.
"We think this is a setback rather than a longer-term, underlying decline in confidence. Consumer sentiment is higher than it was a year ago and an accelerating economy and lower inflation should bolster consumer incomes in 2014."
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- US retailers' March 2014 sales roundup
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- VF Corp eyes speed to market with China hub
- Declining sales push Coldwater Creek to bankruptcy
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Jeans in Italy
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects