UK: Consumer confidence rises in January
UK consumer confidence picked up in January as shoppers were willing to spend on the high street, according to figures released by research company GfK.
The GfK Consumer Confidence Index Score increased three points to -26. Three of the five measures also rose this month, while one remained the same and one declined.
GfK managing director of social research Nick Moon said: "There's a definite note of optimism in these findings, with clear changes in how people view the general economic situation in the past year and looking to the coming 12 months. More importantly, it looks as if there has been some good news for retailers this month with people more willing to make major purchases compared to December last year.
"It's worth noting however that people's views of their own financial situation aren't as optimistic, with no improvement expected in the next 12 months, and a drop of two places over last year's personal financial situation. This suggests it is too soon to say if more positive views on the general economy mark the start of sustained rise in the Index.
"Indeed, the continuing gloom from the high street and the talk of triple-dip recession makes that seem somewhat unlikely, but a rise in two months out of the last three is an encouraging sign."
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Who has pledged to ban the use of angora?
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Syrian refugee children found in Turkish factories
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Key Bangladesh safety issues still not fixed
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024