UK: Consumer confidence slumps in December
UK consumer confidence has slumped during the run-up to Christmas, according to the latest figures from research company GfK.
The GfK Consumer Confidence Index Score declined seven points to -29 in December from -22 last month. Four of the five measures, which cover personal finances over the past year, the general economic situation, the climate for major purchases, and savings, fell this month. The forecast for personal finances over the next 12 months remained the same.
GfK managing director of social research Nick Moon said: "While such a dramatic drop in consumer confidence over the last month might seem like very bad news, it must be seen in the context of a massive eight point rise in November - the seventh highest increase since the Index began in 1974. On its own, this increase suggested a real turning point in consumer confidence as we looked ahead to 2013.
"But just as with significant improvements like this in the past - in May 2011 for example - the surge disappeared as fast as it arrived. Despite last month's rise, the Index is now only one point higher than it was in October 2012, indicating that consumer sentiment is still fragile despite the fact Christmas is less than a week away."
The UK Consumer Confidence survey was conducted on a sample of 2,002 individuals aged 16 and above.
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Southeast Asia & Central America strategic sourcing reviews package deal
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis