UK: Consumer confidence slumps in December
UK consumer confidence has slumped during the run-up to Christmas, according to the latest figures from research company GfK.
The GfK Consumer Confidence Index Score declined seven points to -29 in December from -22 last month. Four of the five measures, which cover personal finances over the past year, the general economic situation, the climate for major purchases, and savings, fell this month. The forecast for personal finances over the next 12 months remained the same.
GfK managing director of social research Nick Moon said: "While such a dramatic drop in consumer confidence over the last month might seem like very bad news, it must be seen in the context of a massive eight point rise in November - the seventh highest increase since the Index began in 1974. On its own, this increase suggested a real turning point in consumer confidence as we looked ahead to 2013.
"But just as with significant improvements like this in the past - in May 2011 for example - the surge disappeared as fast as it arrived. Despite last month's rise, the Index is now only one point higher than it was in October 2012, indicating that consumer sentiment is still fragile despite the fact Christmas is less than a week away."
The UK Consumer Confidence survey was conducted on a sample of 2,002 individuals aged 16 and above.
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Clarity on competition law and living wages
- Can technology shape a sustainable fashion future?
- Frustrations come to the fore in Bangladesh
- Talks progressing on Myanmar minimum wage
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- Hugo Boss in talks over supplier labour claims
- US trade agenda back on track
- H&M warns of "negative" impact from dollar
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015