UK: Contemporary Menswear Label Censured By Ad Authority
Contemporary menswear label, Daniel Christian, has been censured by the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) for using a picture of an old woman to promote its latest Autumn/Winter collection campaign.The 'free bag' campaign invited the target consumer audience, viacounter-top point-of-sale material and leaflet hand-outs, to choose between the depicted gnarled woman and the actual free nylon duffle bag. The legend pointed at the latter saying 'this one unless you¹re really weird.'The target audience is males aged between 16 and 25. The way the message was depicted was intended to appeal to those with a Œquirky¹ sense of humour and encourage high recall of the offer.Following a complaint to the ASA, the Executive recommended that thecomplaint should not be upheld as the promotion was only intended to be light-hearted and funny.However, the ASA Council ruled that 'the portrayal of the elderly in that way was unacceptable.' For more information about the Daniel Christian visit the company website at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020