UK: Contemporary Menswear Label Censured By Ad Authority
Contemporary menswear label, Daniel Christian, has been censured by the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) for using a picture of an old woman to promote its latest Autumn/Winter collection campaign.The 'free bag' campaign invited the target consumer audience, viacounter-top point-of-sale material and leaflet hand-outs, to choose between the depicted gnarled woman and the actual free nylon duffle bag. The legend pointed at the latter saying 'this one unless you¹re really weird.'The target audience is males aged between 16 and 25. The way the message was depicted was intended to appeal to those with a Œquirky¹ sense of humour and encourage high recall of the offer.Following a complaint to the ASA, the Executive recommended that thecomplaint should not be upheld as the promotion was only intended to be light-hearted and funny.However, the ASA Council ruled that 'the portrayal of the elderly in that way was unacceptable.' For more information about the Daniel Christian visit the company website at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Oxford Industries, Genesco
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Adidas NYC flagship raises the bar on sport stores
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack