UK: Contemporary Menswear Label Censured By Ad Authority
Contemporary menswear label, Daniel Christian, has been censured by the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) for using a picture of an old woman to promote its latest Autumn/Winter collection campaign.The 'free bag' campaign invited the target consumer audience, viacounter-top point-of-sale material and leaflet hand-outs, to choose between the depicted gnarled woman and the actual free nylon duffle bag. The legend pointed at the latter saying 'this one unless you¹re really weird.'The target audience is males aged between 16 and 25. The way the message was depicted was intended to appeal to those with a Œquirky¹ sense of humour and encourage high recall of the offer.Following a complaint to the ASA, the Executive recommended that thecomplaint should not be upheld as the promotion was only intended to be light-hearted and funny.However, the ASA Council ruled that 'the portrayal of the elderly in that way was unacceptable.' For more information about the Daniel Christian visit the company website at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022