UK: Contemporary Menswear Label Censured By Ad Authority
Contemporary menswear label, Daniel Christian, has been censured by the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) for using a picture of an old woman to promote its latest Autumn/Winter collection campaign.The 'free bag' campaign invited the target consumer audience, viacounter-top point-of-sale material and leaflet hand-outs, to choose between the depicted gnarled woman and the actual free nylon duffle bag. The legend pointed at the latter saying 'this one unless you¹re really weird.'The target audience is males aged between 16 and 25. The way the message was depicted was intended to appeal to those with a Œquirky¹ sense of humour and encourage high recall of the offer.Following a complaint to the ASA, the Executive recommended that thecomplaint should not be upheld as the promotion was only intended to be light-hearted and funny.However, the ASA Council ruled that 'the portrayal of the elderly in that way was unacceptable.' For more information about the Daniel Christian visit the company website at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Adidas mulls roll-out of in-store customisation
- Brands urged to empower women in sub-Sahara Africa
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective