USA: Cool Weather Chills Michigan Retail Sales
Cool summer weather continued to chill Michigan retail sales in July, the Michigan Retailers Association reported today. It also put a damper on retailers' expectations for the next three months.Forty-five per cent of Michigan retailers reported sales increases in July over the same month a year ago, while 40 per cent reported decreases, according to the Michigan Retail Index - the worst July on record since the Index was established in 1994 by the Michigan Retailers Association (MRA) and Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.Sales performance has been below normal throughout the spring and summer. Although June showed some rebound, April's and May's figures also were the worst on record for those months.Two-thirds of Michigan retailers expect to increase year-to-year salesduring the August-October period. However, the level of optimism is usually higher at this time of year."Most retailers are happy this summer is coming to a close," said Larry Meyer, CEO of MRA and a former director of the Michigan Department of Commerce. "Cool weather, higher interest rates and higher gas prices have taken a toll.""But continued cool weather can help push up retail sales for the back-to-school and fall seasons," Meyer added. "An early fall could be the retailers' friend."Apparel retailers reported sales gains of 45 per cent.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts