USA: Cool Weather Chills Michigan Retail Sales
Cool summer weather continued to chill Michigan retail sales in July, the Michigan Retailers Association reported today. It also put a damper on retailers' expectations for the next three months.Forty-five per cent of Michigan retailers reported sales increases in July over the same month a year ago, while 40 per cent reported decreases, according to the Michigan Retail Index - the worst July on record since the Index was established in 1994 by the Michigan Retailers Association (MRA) and Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.Sales performance has been below normal throughout the spring and summer. Although June showed some rebound, April's and May's figures also were the worst on record for those months.Two-thirds of Michigan retailers expect to increase year-to-year salesduring the August-October period. However, the level of optimism is usually higher at this time of year."Most retailers are happy this summer is coming to a close," said Larry Meyer, CEO of MRA and a former director of the Michigan Department of Commerce. "Cool weather, higher interest rates and higher gas prices have taken a toll.""But continued cool weather can help push up retail sales for the back-to-school and fall seasons," Meyer added. "An early fall could be the retailers' friend."Apparel retailers reported sales gains of 45 per cent.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack