US: Cost cuts help Bernard Chaus swing to Q1 profit
Women's wear maker Bernard Chaus Inc has swung to a first quarter profit after making good progress in reducing its cost structure.
The company's net income was $126,000, or breakeven on a diluted share basis, compared to a net loss of $354,000, or a loss of $0.01 per diluted share, in the same period last year.
Revenues in the three months to 30 September fell 4.5% to $33.9m from $35.5m last time.
Josephine Chaus, chairwoman and chief executive officer, said: "We expect the landscape will remain challenging in the near term as retailers plan their orders conservatively."
She added: "We will continue to seek out additional ways that we can enhance profitability while investing in our brands and business for the future."
The company's brands include Josephine Chaus, Chaus, Cynthia Steffe and Cynthia Cynthia Steffe trademarks, but it also makes for certain private labels and has a women's sportswear license agreement with Kenneth Cole Productions.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Footwear and accessories marketer RG Barry Corporation has named Hong Zeng as its new China-based vice president of sourcing....
Teen fashion retailer Aeropostale Inc has chosen Dubai as the location for its first international store outside North America....
Footwear and apparel company Kenneth Cole Productions has appointed Chris Nakatani to the position of president of wholesale....
Footwear, apparel and accessories company Kenneth Cole Productions posted a fourth quarter loss of US$12m, thanks to a double-digit decline in comparable store sales....
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Adidas mulls roll-out of in-store customisation
- Brands urged to empower women in sub-Sahara Africa
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective