US: Costs push Levi Strauss Q2 earnings down
- Q2 earnings dropped to US$11m
- Gross margin narrow to 49%
- Sales fall 2%
Jeans giant Levi saw its earnings plummet in the second quarter
Jeans giant Levi Strauss & Co saw its earnings plummet in the second quarter, hurt by restructuring and debt extinguishment-related charges, as well as lower wholesale revenues in the Americas.
In the three months ended 25 May, earnings declined to US$11m from $48m a year earlier. The company recorded $28m in restructuring and other charges related to Levi's global productivity initiative, and a debt extinguishment charge of $11m.
Gross margin also declined in the quarter, to 49% of revenues compared with 49.9% in the year-ago quarter. The decline reflected an unfavourable sales mix and product investment costs.
Sales were down 2% to $1.08bn on a reported basis and 1% on a constant-currency basis, reflecting lower sales at wholesale in the Americas, partially offset by an improved performance in Europe and Asia.
"While we are encouraged by business improvements in Europe and Asia, ongoing traffic declines and an increasingly promotional environment continue to pressure our Americas region," said CEO Chip Bergh.
"We will continue to focus on what's within our control - from cost structure, to conversion in our stores, to engaging consumers with great product and innovation - in order to drive long-term profitable growth."
Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
Whether we buy for functionality, authenticity or fashionability, our love affair with denim continues. In this latest edition of the denim and jeanswear report, just-style has combined the idea of fa...read more
Levis Strauss France faces a difficult time in its development in France, as in addition to growing production costs, there is Increasing competition from retailers positioned in the economy segment, ...
Introduction Womenswear in Mexico industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profi......
Introduction Womenswear in Denmark industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The prof......
Introduction Menswear in Mexico industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile......
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019