US: Costs push Levi Strauss Q2 earnings down
- Q2 earnings dropped to US$11m
- Gross margin narrow to 49%
- Sales fall 2%
Jeans giant Levi saw its earnings plummet in the second quarter
Jeans giant Levi Strauss & Co saw its earnings plummet in the second quarter, hurt by restructuring and debt extinguishment-related charges, as well as lower wholesale revenues in the Americas.
In the three months ended 25 May, earnings declined to US$11m from $48m a year earlier. The company recorded $28m in restructuring and other charges related to Levi's global productivity initiative, and a debt extinguishment charge of $11m.
Gross margin also declined in the quarter, to 49% of revenues compared with 49.9% in the year-ago quarter. The decline reflected an unfavourable sales mix and product investment costs.
Sales were down 2% to $1.08bn on a reported basis and 1% on a constant-currency basis, reflecting lower sales at wholesale in the Americas, partially offset by an improved performance in Europe and Asia.
"While we are encouraged by business improvements in Europe and Asia, ongoing traffic declines and an increasingly promotional environment continue to pressure our Americas region," said CEO Chip Bergh.
"We will continue to focus on what's within our control - from cost structure, to conversion in our stores, to engaging consumers with great product and innovation - in order to drive long-term profitable growth."
Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
Whether we buy for functionality, authenticity or fashionability, our love affair with denim continues. In this latest edition of the denim and jeanswear report, just-style has combined the idea of f...read more
Levi Strauss & Co. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offer...
Levi Strauss & Co. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, produc...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Fashion apparel maker Hampshire Group has signed a global sourcing deal with jeans giant Levi Strauss....
Levi Strauss & Co. - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed S...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Weatherproof jackets release harmful chemicals"
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies