US: Costs widen Hampshire Group's Q4 net loss
Fashion apparel maker Hampshire Group widened its net loss in the fourth quarter as one-off costs and a difficult sales environment hit the group's bottom line.
In the three months to the end of December, losses amounted to US$8.9m, compared to a net loss of $0.6m a year earlier. The loss included a non-cash writedown of $8.4m.
Sales dropped 12.9% to $35m from sales of $40.2m in the year ago period. The decline was primarily due to the expiration of several licensing agreements at the end of 2012. Increased sales in the group's remaining men's brands division partially offset a decline in its Rio garment division.
Gross profit margin from ongoing operations, however, showed year-over-year improvement in line with group expectations.
"While the fourth quarter and full year 2013 results were disappointing, several one-time expenses during the quarter and year, as well as losses from discontinued operations, mask underlying progress in gross profit margins and expense reduction," said CEO Paul Buxbaum.
Nonetheless, he added: "We expect a continued difficult 2014 sales environment; however, we expect to see operating improvement in 2014. We expect an increase in gross profit margin in men's brands stemming from new sourcing arrangements. We expect to recapture lost gross profit margin at Rio, and should see sustained gross profit margin growth throughout 2015."
Apparel business Hampshire Group recorded a net loss and a 44% slump in sales in the second quarter, but the company's CEO insists a recovery is just around the corner....
Fashion apparel maker Hampshire Group has signed a global sourcing deal with jeans giant Levi Strauss....
Fashion apparel maker Hampshire Group has entered into a licensing deal with California-based hiking and climbing-inspired brand Gramicci....
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report