US: Costs widen Hampshire Group's Q4 net loss
Fashion apparel maker Hampshire Group widened its net loss in the fourth quarter as one-off costs and a difficult sales environment hit the group's bottom line.
In the three months to the end of December, losses amounted to US$8.9m, compared to a net loss of $0.6m a year earlier. The loss included a non-cash writedown of $8.4m.
Sales dropped 12.9% to $35m from sales of $40.2m in the year ago period. The decline was primarily due to the expiration of several licensing agreements at the end of 2012. Increased sales in the group's remaining men's brands division partially offset a decline in its Rio garment division.
Gross profit margin from ongoing operations, however, showed year-over-year improvement in line with group expectations.
"While the fourth quarter and full year 2013 results were disappointing, several one-time expenses during the quarter and year, as well as losses from discontinued operations, mask underlying progress in gross profit margins and expense reduction," said CEO Paul Buxbaum.
Nonetheless, he added: "We expect a continued difficult 2014 sales environment; however, we expect to see operating improvement in 2014. We expect an increase in gross profit margin in men's brands stemming from new sourcing arrangements. We expect to recapture lost gross profit margin at Rio, and should see sustained gross profit margin growth throughout 2015."
Apparel business Hampshire Group recorded a net loss and a 44% slump in sales in the second quarter, but the company's CEO insists a recovery is just around the corner....
Fashion apparel maker Hampshire Group has signed a global sourcing deal with jeans giant Levi Strauss....
Fashion apparel maker Hampshire Group has entered into a licensing deal with California-based hiking and climbing-inspired brand Gramicci....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details