US: Cotton costs burden Hanesbrands Q2 profit
- Q2 underlying profit down 13.5% to US$67.3m
- Net sales up 1% to $1.18bn
- CEO highlights strong innerwear performance
Basic apparel maker Hanesbrands recorded a diminished profit in its second quarter despite a slight sales increase, as the company continued to be impacted by historic high cotton costs.
The US company’s reported net profit of US$1.2m – down from $86.8m for the same period last year – was impacted by its sale of loss-making imagewear divisions earlier this year, but underlying figures also showed a profit decline of over 13%.
It blamed “substantially higher cotton costs” for the slump, but pointed to a stronger performance from its innerwear business, driven by growth in men’s underwear, children’s underwear and women’s panties and bras.
Hanesbrands added that the majority of the cotton inflation was now behind it, leaving it to predict a stronger second half of 2012.
“Our business had a solid quarter, and we are performing slightly ahead of our plans for the year, especially in the innerwear segment,” said company chairman and CEO Richard Noll.
“While we still have a long way to go, we are well positioned for the second half of the year.”
Hanesbrands expects to report full-year earnings per diluted share of $2.50-2.60 on sales of $4.52-4.57bn.
A number of major clothing brands have been accused of "fuelling modern-day slavery" through their failure to address child and forced labour in their supply chains, according to a report released by ...
US clothing manufacturer Hanesbrands has revealed plans to double production at its Woolwine fabric plant in Virginia by adding new knitting machines....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details