MALI: Cotton farmers reduce pesticide use
Pesticide use by cotton farmers in Mali has fallen by as much as 92% as a result of field schools training growers in alternative pest control measures, according to a new report.
London’s Royal Society conducted the study of the initiatives conducted by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations since 2003, comparing cotton farmers in Bla – the location of the field schools – with those in Bougouni, where the programme is not yet active.
Although only 34% of the farmers in Bla had taken part in the programme, pesticide use across the region fell by 92%, suggesting that knowledge of alternative methods had been widely disseminated in the area.
But in Bougouni, levels of pesticide use remained unchanged.
The study also found that shifting to alternative “biopesticides” such as neem tree extract had reduced production costs by nearly US$500,000, as well as cutting pesticide use by more than 47,000 litres.
So far, more than 20,000 cotton farmers in Mali have been through the field schools.
“We must learn from farmers’ experience,” said FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva.
“Pragmatic, field-based and farmer-centric education can and must play a key role in making agriculture stronger and more sustainable.”
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- US cotton production set to decline
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details