FRANCE: Cotton Producers Set Sights On Lightweight Wool Market
Cotton fabric sales normally hit a peak in the summer months. Yet leading European producers such as Filatures de Chenimenil are now busily promoting "warm cotton" as a mid-season alternative to lightweight wool and as a result are looking for impressively expanded sales from the start of the winter 2000-01 season. At the recent Expofil yarn fair in Paris for instance, Filatures de Chenimenil chairman and chief executive Francois-Regis de Seze commented: "The combined output from each of our three production sites now tops 14,000 tons a year ― more than five times the amount we were producing at the start of the 1980s which most textile manufacturers now look back on as a 'golden age' when they operated in what was effectively a sellers market." He attributes his company's continuing progress through the "bad times" to the fact that Filatures de Chenimenil has never been tempted to be other than a specialist. "From the foundation of our organization in 1909 to the present day we have always concentrated on spinning fine count cotton yarns," he explained. "However, in recent years we have discovered that our past expertise in ring spinning American origin cotton has enabled us to move very successfully into the polycotton sector."By Sonia Roberts.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts