KENYA: Cotton Sector Hopes For A Revival
The Kenyan Government has set aside more than 2.1 million acres of land for cotton farming as part of a new national campaign aimed at reviving the ailing textile sector. If successful, the initiative could provide the chance of employment for more than 200,000 people. Speaking on a fact-finding mission accompanied by six Ameican textile experts, industries director Mr J M Masila said that the Government was committed to regenerating the textile industry to take advantage of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA). He added that the revival would start by strengthening cotton farming and ginning before switching its focus to milling. This campaign would create 50,000 direct jobs, and an additional 150,000 would come from auxiliary sectors like transport, insurance, banking, warehousing and advertising.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020