AUSTRALIA: Cotton yield to slump if no break in drought
Australia's cotton industry is anticipating a significantly reduced yield in the 2014/15 harvest if the ongoing drought in the country's cotton-growing regions does not ease.
Adam Kay, CEO of peak industry body Cotton Australia, told just-style that if the very dry conditions continued, preliminary forecasts were for a total harvest of around 2.5m bales in the 2014/15 season, compared to the nearly 4m bales harvested in 2013/14.
"This could all change if we get rain however, and if we get enough in the right places we could look at substantial increases on those figures," he said, adding that more accurate forecasts could be anticipated in early November.
Australian cotton exports are worth around AUD1.50bn (US$1.40bn) according to the country's national science agency, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO).
Kay said that currently 70% of Australian cotton is exported to China, 10% to Indonesia and 10% to Thailand and that Australia was well-placed to supply the vibrant Asian apparel and textile markets.
"There is a lot of interest in expanding cotton production in Australia right now. We have counter seasonal production to the northern hemisphere, short shipping times to Asia and high quality, reliable product that's in demand. Some farmers are forward selling up to three years in advance," he said.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020