US: Counterfeit apparel and footwear seizures rose in 2012
The US Customs and Border Protection agency made 9,702 seizures of counterfeit apparel and footwear valued at $236m during the 2012 fiscal year.
Of those, it made 7,805 seizures of counterfeit apparel valued at US$133m and US$103.4m worth of footwear in 1,897 seizures.
The number was up on last year, when it seized $223.3m worth of clothing and footwear in 7,392 seizures.
The end of year report said China remains the primary source of counterfeit and pirated goods, accounting for 72% of all intellectual property rights seizures in 2012, up 12.5% from 2011.
Lev Kubiak, director of the National Intellectual Property Rights Center, said that the internet is fuelling the growth of counterfeit trade.
"As online commerce continues to expand, we are seeing more international criminal organisations exploiting cyberspace to further their criminal enterprises.
"Internet websites are increasingly the front end or entry point for consumers, businesses and criminal organisations to the international supply chain," said Kubiak.
"Attacking criminal activity at every point along the international supply chain, to include websites, manufacturers, shippers and shipping routes, border entry points, distribution networks and payment methods, is critical to CBP and Homeland Security Investigations' (HSI) enforcement efforts."
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)