US: Counterfeit apparel and footwear seizures rose in 2012
The US Customs and Border Protection agency made 9,702 seizures of counterfeit apparel and footwear valued at $236m during the 2012 fiscal year.
Of those, it made 7,805 seizures of counterfeit apparel valued at US$133m and US$103.4m worth of footwear in 1,897 seizures.
The number was up on last year, when it seized $223.3m worth of clothing and footwear in 7,392 seizures.
The end of year report said China remains the primary source of counterfeit and pirated goods, accounting for 72% of all intellectual property rights seizures in 2012, up 12.5% from 2011.
Lev Kubiak, director of the National Intellectual Property Rights Center, said that the internet is fuelling the growth of counterfeit trade.
"As online commerce continues to expand, we are seeing more international criminal organisations exploiting cyberspace to further their criminal enterprises.
"Internet websites are increasingly the front end or entry point for consumers, businesses and criminal organisations to the international supply chain," said Kubiak.
"Attacking criminal activity at every point along the international supply chain, to include websites, manufacturers, shippers and shipping routes, border entry points, distribution networks and payment methods, is critical to CBP and Homeland Security Investigations' (HSI) enforcement efforts."
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- ILO backs Burma project to improve work practices
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies