US: Counterfeit apparel and footwear seizures rose in 2012
The US Customs and Border Protection agency made 9,702 seizures of counterfeit apparel and footwear valued at $236m during the 2012 fiscal year.
Of those, it made 7,805 seizures of counterfeit apparel valued at US$133m and US$103.4m worth of footwear in 1,897 seizures.
The number was up on last year, when it seized $223.3m worth of clothing and footwear in 7,392 seizures.
The end of year report said China remains the primary source of counterfeit and pirated goods, accounting for 72% of all intellectual property rights seizures in 2012, up 12.5% from 2011.
Lev Kubiak, director of the National Intellectual Property Rights Center, said that the internet is fuelling the growth of counterfeit trade.
"As online commerce continues to expand, we are seeing more international criminal organisations exploiting cyberspace to further their criminal enterprises.
"Internet websites are increasingly the front end or entry point for consumers, businesses and criminal organisations to the international supply chain," said Kubiak.
"Attacking criminal activity at every point along the international supply chain, to include websites, manufacturers, shippers and shipping routes, border entry points, distribution networks and payment methods, is critical to CBP and Homeland Security Investigations' (HSI) enforcement efforts."
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015