VIETNAM: Country’s first eco-friendly tannery opens
After more than a year of construction, Vietnam's first eco tannery has opened in the southern province of Binh Duong.
Saigon Tan Tec Leather Limited is subsidiary of German/Chinese leather producer ISA Tan Tec, which also operates an ecologically-friendly tannery facility in China.
The new plant in Vietnam cost US$12m to build, which is much higher than its original budget of US$ 8.7m.
Leather produced in the factory will meet the LITE energy and water consumption standards which are based on calculations by the British Leather Technology Center and require roughly 30% less energy and 50% less water to produce.
The 4.4 hectare plant will employ some 300 workers with an annual capacity of 2m square metres of high-quality leather which will be used by local shoe manufacturers and exported to factories in China, India and Thailand.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Will the recent decision by the Indian government to halt cotton exports have serious repercussions for garment makers around the globe? The answer, it seems, is yes and no....
Accessory footwear marketer R G Barry Corporation has appointed Nancy Coons as the new president of its Dearfoams brand....
Australian merino wool growers have launched a new initiative to provide US retailers and brands with visibility into the fibre's supply chain in an attempt to offset concerns about issues such as mul...
Department store retailer John Lewis Partnership is taking a stand against mulesing, according to animal rights group PETA. ...
Outdoor apparel retailer Timberland is to launch a re-designed web store in the US later this summer and in the UK, Germany, Austria, France, Italy and Spain in 2011....
The Australian wool industry "needs to move forward with developing alternatives to mulesing [of sheep]," according to one of the top executives at the trade body representing some of the world's larg...
Despite getting off to "a solid start to 2010" with a 62% hike in first-quarter profit, outdoor footwear and clothing firm The Timberland Company has expressed concerns about rising material prices an...
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar