UK: Coupe takes helm as King exits Sainsbury's
King will stand down at Sainsbury's annual general meeting on 9 July
Sainsbury's chief executive Justin King will leave the UK supermarket group this summer, when current commercial director Mike Coupe will take the helm at the firm.
King will stand down as chief executive at Sainsbury's annual general meeting on 9 July, the company said today (29 January), having led the UK retailer for ten years and consistently delivered market-leading top-line growth.
Under King, Sainsbury's has focused on the development of its own label offering, expanding online and convenience and tackling its price perception.
Sainsbury's chairman David Tyler said King has "reshaped Sainsbury's" through his "making Sainsbury's great again" strategy.
Coupe has long been tipped as King's likely successor. He joined Sainsbury's as trading director in 2004 from the then-owner of Iceland Food stores, Big Food Group. Prior to that he worked for both Asda and Tesco, where he served in a variety of senior management roles. He was appointed to his current role in July 2010.
"No one knows Sainsbury's - or the industry - better than Mike. He has worked hand-in-hand with Justin over the past decade and has a proven track record of success making him the natural choice to take the company forward," Tyler added.
Shares in Sainsbury's dipped in early trade today, falling 2.1% by 9.30 GMT.
More than 180 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
Asda Stores Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Tesco Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offeri...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
ASDA Stores Limited - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed ...
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- New JC Penney CEO “credible but no solution”
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- H&M calls for annual wage reviews in Bangladesh
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- Cambodia garment workers campaign for higher wages
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020