SPAIN: Court orders EUR113.4m subsidy payback
The Spanish government will have to repay EUR113.4m (US$158m) in European Union (EU) flax production subsidies which the European Commission has claimed were distributed without proper financial controls.
Indeed, EU anti-fraud unit OLAF has concluded that a "very significant amount of EU subsidies for flax production [in Spain] had been wrongly disbursed".
Although the Spanish courts have not found outright fraud involved, the commission demanded the money be repaid.
Spain appealed, but the European Court of Justice has now backed Brussels.
By Keith Nuthall.
Sectors: Fibres & fabrics
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Over the years Sri Lanka's $3.5bn clothing industry has made a textbook transition from cut-and-sew manufacturer to value-added vertical production platform, with local fabric and accessories supplier...
China has threatened to take legal action against the European Union (EU) following its decision yesterday (22 December) to extend controversial anti-dumping duties on leather shoes imported from Chin...
The European Union has today (22 December) decided to extend controversial anti-dumping duties imposed on leather shoes from China and Vietnam, in a move that will come as a blow not only to China but...
Member States of the European Union are due to vote tomorrow (22 December) on the European Commission's proposal to extend anti-dumping duties imposed on shoes from China and Vietnam....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
The European Commission (EC) has made a long-awaited decision to temporarily suspend preferential trade terms for Sri Lanka because of its poor human-rights record....
Fashion retail brand Jaeger is engaged in talks over the possible opening of a new store in Paris, the company has confirmed....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022