US: Court to hear Gucci trademark case against Guess
PPR-owned Gucci launched the case in 2009, arguing that Guess had copied its trademarks with "reckless disregard" for the law.
The suit centres on a number of Gucci trademarks including the company's distinctive red-green-red stripe motif, its interlocking GG letters, its stylised G mark and the Gucci script design mark.
Gucci alleges that Guess produced and sold "studied imitations" of its trademarks, showing "reckless disregard" for the Italian company's rights in an effort to exploit the strength of the Gucci brand.
US District Judge Shira Scheindlin said that she will conduct a trial without jury beginning 26 March.
Guess is seeking damages, plus an award of three times the profits gained from the alleged copies, and its legal costs.
The defendants also include Marc Fisher Footwear, the Max Leather Group and Swank Inc.
Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Salvatore Ferragamo are Latin America's leading luxury brands, according to industry observers who add the region's elite follow global trends when it comes to choosing their ...
After more than doubling its growth rates between 2008 and 2012, Brazil is the darling of Latin America's luxury apparel and goods market. Last year, the market for designer clothing and footwear grew...
It's no secret that China continues to steal the bulk of the world's luxury apparel and goods sales, accounting for some 50% of the total. But with China's growth rate forecast to slow in 2016, luxury...
French footwear designer Christian Louboutin's distinctive red soles have been given trademark protection, a US appeals court ruled yesterday (6 September). ...
US fashion firm Guess Inc has lowered its full-year earnings guidance after booking a decline in second-quarter net profit....
Puma has confirmed plans to launch a range of compostable or recyclable shoes and clothing in the autumn. ...
Some US$360,000 worth of counterfeit hats, handbags and accessories have been seized by police in Laguna Beach, California, according to reports....
French retail group PPR has formed an online joint venture with online retailer Yoox to accelerate the e-commerce development of some of its luxury brands. ...
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Performance apparel set for continued growth
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Sears Holdings cuts 115 corporate jobs
- H&M Q4 mixed but plans 400 new stores
- UK clothing sales see strongest rise in two years
- Companies continue to call for US trade commitment
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead