UK: Courtaulds Puts Lyle & Scott Back On The Market
Courtaulds, a major supplier to Marks & Spencer, announced last week that it is to sell off Lyle & Scott, the knitwear and leisurewear company.Mr Robert Kimpton, managing director of Lyle & Scott, said he was confident that no jobs would be lost. "We are selling both manufacturing and brand assets. One would be optimistic that anyone buying the company would take Lyle & Scott as it stands."The Scottish-based manufacturer, which has been part of the Courtaulds Textiles Group since 1967, was first put up for sale in November 1999 when it became clear that US monolith Sara Lee was making a hostile move on Courtaulds. In March however, the company was taken off the market and Courtaulds was bought two months later by Sara Lee Corp for around £150m ($226.9m).Mr Kimpton said that a number of companies had shown interest in buying Lyle & Scott when it had first been put on the market, but the company's fate remains unclear at the moment.The Lyle & Scott sale comes just one month after Courtaulds Knitwear slashed 612 jobs in factories in central England. The company blamed severe price pressures, which were adversely affecting profitability.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020