US: Crocs settles dispute with foam shoe maker
A long-running legal dispute between plastic clog maker Crocs and Old Friend foam shoe manufacturer Australia Unlimited, has been settled after four years.
The companies have not disclosed the terms of the decision, but say they have agreed to end all outstanding litigation between them.
The dispute came about after Crocs claimed breach of contract and patent and trade dress infringement, while Australia Unlimited sought damages relating to its NothinZ foam shoe brand which is part of its Old Friend range.
Australia Unlimited's claims against Crocs included declarations of non-infringement of patent and trade dress, breach of contract and violations of anti-trust laws.
The settlement between the two shoemakers comes four years after Crocs filed complaints against several companies, including Australia Unlimited, contending the companies were infringing on Crocs' patents for lightweight resin clogs.
Kent small businessman Jim Klavano, president of Australia Unlimited, then countersued Crocs.
After the resolution Klavano said: "We will continue to market our unique, patented diamond clogs and shock-absorbing footwear worldwide."
Australia Unlimited's NothinZ brand offers a distinctive ergonomic, correct fit design with thick, rebounding heels and melting arches.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Columbia Sportswear Company has added clog maker Crocs to a lawsuit it has filed against a former employee accused of designing shoes for competitors....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022