HONG KONG: Crystal Group joins Sustainable Apparel Coalition
Hong Kong-based garment manufacturer Crystal Group has joined the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), which works to reduce the environmental and social impacts of global apparel and footwear production.
Crystal Group, one of Asia's largest apparel makers, will provide data and resources to facilitate SACs sustainable initiatives for the apparel and footwear industry around the world.
The SAC has been working to develop the Higg Index, a benchmark which helps companies evaluate material types, products, facilities and processes based on a range of environmental and sustainability rankings.
"In joining SAC, we would like to work with the industry in a global manner to drive the sustainability agenda further," said Crystal Group chairman, Kenneth Lo.
"With the strong coalition, I believe that Higg Index will become an industrial norm that serves as a harmonised standard for benchmarking."
The company said it has completed its first set of five-year targets and is working on its second set, which include: reducing its carbon footprint per garment by 6%; increasing the use of renewable energy to 5-10%; reducing fresh water consumption per garment by 10%; reducing energy consumption by 5%, reducing paper consumption by 10%, sending no operational waste to landfill; and to increase the use of recycled water to 50%.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- What does supply chain mapping really mean?
- Overcapacity in China could reshape fibre markets
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- PVH ramps up corporate responsibility commitments
- Nike and Crystal Group "doing well by doing good"
- US Q2 in brief - G-III Apparel, A&F, Sears
- Cambodia’s focus on garment production also a risk
- C&A helps grow organic cotton production in China
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras