HONG KONG: Crystal Group joins Sustainable Apparel Coalition
Hong Kong-based garment manufacturer Crystal Group has joined the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), which works to reduce the environmental and social impacts of global apparel and footwear production.
Crystal Group, one of Asia's largest apparel makers, will provide data and resources to facilitate SACs sustainable initiatives for the apparel and footwear industry around the world.
The SAC has been working to develop the Higg Index, a benchmark which helps companies evaluate material types, products, facilities and processes based on a range of environmental and sustainability rankings.
"In joining SAC, we would like to work with the industry in a global manner to drive the sustainability agenda further," said Crystal Group chairman, Kenneth Lo.
"With the strong coalition, I believe that Higg Index will become an industrial norm that serves as a harmonised standard for benchmarking."
The company said it has completed its first set of five-year targets and is working on its second set, which include: reducing its carbon footprint per garment by 6%; increasing the use of renewable energy to 5-10%; reducing fresh water consumption per garment by 10%; reducing energy consumption by 5%, reducing paper consumption by 10%, sending no operational waste to landfill; and to increase the use of recycled water to 50%.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Supply chain mapping using the Bitcoin blockchain
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- New dye-sublimation printers for sportswear
- Uniqlo owner highlights supplier factory progress
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Exports of lower cotton content denim treble
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019