VIETNAM: Cuba makes inroads for textile supply agreement
Vietnam, which has vastly increased its apparel and footwear production in recent years, is currently looking to secure a supply deals with Cuba for the export of fibre and fabrics.
Cuban Minister of Light Industry, Jose Hernandez Bernardez, has held talks with the Vietnan National Textile and Apparel Group (Vinatex), for a cooperation to import materials for textile and apparel production into Cuba.
According to a preliminary agreement, Cuba will import fibre, fabric and denim fabric from Vietnam, and form ties with other corners of the Vietnamese textile and apparel industry.
The two countries, which have ties in other industries, are trying to expand their cooperation to light industries, such as garments, textiles and footwear.
According to Vietnamese Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade, Bui Xuan Khu, two-way trade turnover between Vietnam and Cuba could be worth US$30m in 2007 with cooperation in several fields such as oil and gas, construction of cement plants, and agriculture.
By Ngo Tuan.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The global credit crisis isn't creating huge collapses in retail sales, says Mike Flanagan, despite numerous reports to the contrary. He believes retailers' profits are under pressure because sales ar...
The state-owned Vietnam oil and gas corporation, PetroVietnam, and the Vietnam National Textile and Garment Group (Vinatex) have signed a deal to build the country's first polyester fibre plant, accor...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar