USA: Cutter & Buck Wins Copying Lawsuit
A complaint filed by Cutter & Buck charged Eagle Dry Goods with trade dress infringement, unfair competition, tortious interference with business relations, and violation of the Washington Consumer Protection Act. The company alleged that Eagle Dry Goods' deluxe jersey polos are copies of Cutter & Buck's CB classic and dog leg stripe shirts. As a term of the settlement, Eagle Dry Goods has agreed to stop selling its deluxe jersey polos.
"Cutter & Buck is committed to vigorously enforcing its trade dress rights," stated Harvey Jones, chairman and chief executive officer of Cutter & Buck. "We have made large investments in time and resources to build the Cutter & Buck name and reputation. We take the copying of our designs very seriously and believe that imitations in the marketplace are a real threat to the relationship that we work so hard to build with our consumers. Therefore, we will continue to pursue companies that infringe on our trade dress rights."
Earlier this year, Cutter & Buck settled a similar trade dress lawsuit against Triad Sportswear LLC of Belgrade, Montana. Triad Sportswear agreed to discontinue selling a shirt that included a unique combination of distinctive features in Cutter & Buck's CB classic shirt.
Cutter and Buck designs and markets upscale men's and women's sportswear and outerwear under the Cutter & Buck brand. The company sells its products primarily through golf pro shops and resorts, corporate sales accounts, and better specialty stores. Cutter & Buck products feature distinctive designs, high quality materials and manufacturing, and rich detailing.
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020