CHINA: Daphne issues profit warning as sales slide
China footwear retailer Daphne International Holdings has issued a profit warning for its full-year on the back of declining sales and lower margins.
For the year to the end of December, the company said it expects to record a "significant decline" in earnings and a low single-digit net margin.
The decline, it said, is due to a same-store sales decrease of 10.4% for the year, and a fall of 5.4% for the fourth quarter. Impairment losses from the closure of stores and an increase in inventory provision also contributed.
The drop in sales, the company added, was due to a slowdown in consumer spending, unanticipated warm weather conditions in October and November, and keen competition.
Nonetheless, the company offered an optimistic outlook for its new financial year.
"The performance in 2013 was exceptional compared to previous years due to a combination of adverse external and internal factors. However, during the year, the group dedicated efforts to improve staff retention and training, closed down non-performing stores and adopted more prudent inventory management.
"These initiatives will not only enhance sales growth and ease operating deleverage, but will also lay the foundation for improvement in the Group's performance in the coming years."
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Apparel industry not immune from Russia tensions
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Cotton prices set to slip on China policy change
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey