CHINA: Daphne issues profit warning as sales slide
China footwear retailer Daphne International Holdings has issued a profit warning for its full-year on the back of declining sales and lower margins.
For the year to the end of December, the company said it expects to record a "significant decline" in earnings and a low single-digit net margin.
The decline, it said, is due to a same-store sales decrease of 10.4% for the year, and a fall of 5.4% for the fourth quarter. Impairment losses from the closure of stores and an increase in inventory provision also contributed.
The drop in sales, the company added, was due to a slowdown in consumer spending, unanticipated warm weather conditions in October and November, and keen competition.
Nonetheless, the company offered an optimistic outlook for its new financial year.
"The performance in 2013 was exceptional compared to previous years due to a combination of adverse external and internal factors. However, during the year, the group dedicated efforts to improve staff retention and training, closed down non-performing stores and adopted more prudent inventory management.
"These initiatives will not only enhance sales growth and ease operating deleverage, but will also lay the foundation for improvement in the Group's performance in the coming years."
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Bangladesh workers rally for unpaid wages
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020