BOTSWANA: Data raises concern about textile exports
Economic uncertainties are keeping Botswana's textile industry teetering on the brink, with its exports falling hard, despite a BWP38m (US$4.5m) government stimulus package spent during and after 2010.
The latest export figures from the Botswana ministry of trade and industry show the country netted a paltry US$41m in textile exports during the first quarter of 2012.
This is down from US$226m in all of 2011, raising concerns the sector has fallen into commercial difficulties.
Komissa Burzlaff, head of public affairs at the Botswana Confederation of Commerce Industry and Manpower (BOCCIM), told just-style: "It must be noted that even though the economy has been recovering, it has been doing so at a slow rate, and unfortunately forecasts for 2012 and 2013 are bleak, so this may in turn affect the textile sector."
"This industry simply cannot rely on the Botswana market," she said - the country's population is just 2m.
"Hence, all the efforts made to ensure the ease of doing business, market access, and reducing or entirely removing existing trade barriers," she added.
Thus far, she insisted there had not been significant job losses in the Botswana textile industry, whose 2011 performance was an improvement on 2010, when just US$139m was exported in the entire year.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- EU relaxes origin rules on Jordan clothing exports
- US Q2 in brief - Sears, Burlington, Tilly's
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras