BOTSWANA: Data raises concern about textile exports
Economic uncertainties are keeping Botswana's textile industry teetering on the brink, with its exports falling hard, despite a BWP38m (US$4.5m) government stimulus package spent during and after 2010.
The latest export figures from the Botswana ministry of trade and industry show the country netted a paltry US$41m in textile exports during the first quarter of 2012.
This is down from US$226m in all of 2011, raising concerns the sector has fallen into commercial difficulties.
Komissa Burzlaff, head of public affairs at the Botswana Confederation of Commerce Industry and Manpower (BOCCIM), told just-style: "It must be noted that even though the economy has been recovering, it has been doing so at a slow rate, and unfortunately forecasts for 2012 and 2013 are bleak, so this may in turn affect the textile sector."
"This industry simply cannot rely on the Botswana market," she said - the country's population is just 2m.
"Hence, all the efforts made to ensure the ease of doing business, market access, and reducing or entirely removing existing trade barriers," she added.
Thus far, she insisted there had not been significant job losses in the Botswana textile industry, whose 2011 performance was an improvement on 2010, when just US$139m was exported in the entire year.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Supply chain mapping using the Bitcoin blockchain
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- New dye-sublimation printers for sportswear
- Uniqlo owner highlights supplier factory progress
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Exports of lower cotton content denim treble
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019