BOTSWANA: Data raises concern about textile exports
Economic uncertainties are keeping Botswana's textile industry teetering on the brink, with its exports falling hard, despite a BWP38m (US$4.5m) government stimulus package spent during and after 2010.
The latest export figures from the Botswana ministry of trade and industry show the country netted a paltry US$41m in textile exports during the first quarter of 2012.
This is down from US$226m in all of 2011, raising concerns the sector has fallen into commercial difficulties.
Komissa Burzlaff, head of public affairs at the Botswana Confederation of Commerce Industry and Manpower (BOCCIM), told just-style: "It must be noted that even though the economy has been recovering, it has been doing so at a slow rate, and unfortunately forecasts for 2012 and 2013 are bleak, so this may in turn affect the textile sector."
"This industry simply cannot rely on the Botswana market," she said - the country's population is just 2m.
"Hence, all the efforts made to ensure the ease of doing business, market access, and reducing or entirely removing existing trade barriers," she added.
Thus far, she insisted there had not been significant job losses in the Botswana textile industry, whose 2011 performance was an improvement on 2010, when just US$139m was exported in the entire year.
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- H&M calls for annual wage reviews in Bangladesh
- New JC Penney CEO “credible but no solution”
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- Cambodia garment workers campaign for higher wages
- Child labour products still entering US from China
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020