AUSTRALIA: David Jones Q1 sales growth first in two years
- Q1 sales increased 0.3% to A$415.6m
- Like-for-like sales were also up 0.3%
Australian department store operator David Jones has recorded its first quarter of sales growth in almost two years.
The retailer today (21 November) said sales increased 0.3% to A$415.6m over the quarter ended 27 October, from $414.3m in the same period of the prior year. Like-for-like sales were also up 0.3%.
"Whilst it is still early days, it is pleasing to see the company return to positive sales growth following seven quarters of declining sales," said CEO Paul Zahra.
"We have seen a continued improvement in sales tracking quarter on quarter since 1Q12. Particularly pleasing is the fact that our high margin categories (women's wear, men's wear, beauty, accessories and shoes) all delivered positive sales growth in the quarter. Our home and electricals categories on the other hand continued to be challenging."
He added that the company reduced the length of its October Half Yearly Clearance by two weeks as part of its strategy to improve sales profitability and focus on full margin new season stock, as well as expanding high margin categories.
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)