AUSTRALIA: David Jones Q1 sales growth first in two years
- Q1 sales increased 0.3% to A$415.6m
- Like-for-like sales were also up 0.3%
Australian department store operator David Jones has recorded its first quarter of sales growth in almost two years.
The retailer today (21 November) said sales increased 0.3% to A$415.6m over the quarter ended 27 October, from $414.3m in the same period of the prior year. Like-for-like sales were also up 0.3%.
"Whilst it is still early days, it is pleasing to see the company return to positive sales growth following seven quarters of declining sales," said CEO Paul Zahra.
"We have seen a continued improvement in sales tracking quarter on quarter since 1Q12. Particularly pleasing is the fact that our high margin categories (women's wear, men's wear, beauty, accessories and shoes) all delivered positive sales growth in the quarter. Our home and electricals categories on the other hand continued to be challenging."
He added that the company reduced the length of its October Half Yearly Clearance by two weeks as part of its strategy to improve sales profitability and focus on full margin new season stock, as well as expanding high margin categories.
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details