US: Deadline set for new import/export system
A new system designed to streamline the regulatory process for exports and imports for US businesses should be up and running by December 2016.
The International Trade Data System (ITDS) is designed to cut processing and approval times for companies which currently have to submit information to multiple government agencies, often on paper forms.
Once fully implemented, the ITDS will allow businesses to transmit the information electronically through a “single window”, cutting time and expense for the 50m-plus containers and US$3.8trn of goods crossing US borders every year.
Now President Obama has signed a new Executive Order on Streamlining the Export/Import Process for America’s Businesses, which establishes the December 2016 for ITDS to be completed.
It also requires relevant agencies to transition from paper-based to electronic data collection, and calls for enhanced transparency through public posting of implementation plans.
Meanwhile, the newly expanded Border Interagency Executive Council (BIEC) will be tasked with improving co-ordination among the dozens of agencies working in the import/export arena.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry