UK: Debenhams uses disabled model in display
Department store retailer Debenhams is claiming a UK high street first by using a disabled model in a nationwide window display campaign across all 160 stores in the UK and Ireland.
Shannon Murray, accompanied by additional photography, mannequins and products, stars in the display to launch the company’s autumn/winter women’s wear ranges.
The national roll-out follows a three-store trial using Murray earlier this year, prompted by an approach from Nikki Fox and Natasha Wood, disability campaigners and presenters of television show How to Look Good Naked.
Debenhams has also previously used plus-size and petite models, un-airbrushed swim models and size 16 mannequins in other campaigns during 2010.
“After months and months of hard work, this is some of the best imagery I have seen on the British high street – ever,” said Gok Wan, celebrity stylist, How to Look Good Naked presenter and inclusivity campaigner.
With the global textile and clothing industry this year emerging from a deep slump, it is perhaps understandable that there were going to be unexpected twists and turns in the sector during 2010....
While some retailers continued to be vulnerable to cost-cutting, swingeing redundancies and store closures in 2010, others acted swiftly to respond to the changing economic circumstances, offering rea...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020