CANADA: Decides against import ban on cat and dog fur
Canada will continue to import cat and dog fur despite a ban adopted by the United States and the UK, to avoid undermining support for the country's seal hunt.
An internal government document obtained by a Canadian news agency under the Access to Information Act - now widely disseminated by Canadian media - says government officials urged Gerry Ritz, the agriculture minister, not to instigate a ban.
"An import ban on cat and dog fur, if it were to be considered, could... undermine Canada's position against the implementation of foreign import bans on Canadian seal products," the memorandum said.
This summer, the European Union voted to ban seal products from Canada, upsetting Canada's Conservative government, which plans to contest this at the World Trade Organization.
A private members bill to ban cat and dog fur products has now been proposed by Canadian Liberal MP Anita Neville. "This is a deplorable practice and must be stopped," she said.
By Monica Dobie.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Thinking like a designer can transform the way brands develop products, services, processes and even strategy. So why is it that Britain, a country so good at training designers, fails to make use of ...
The US has requested that the World Trade Organization (WTO) examines whether Indian textiles and apparel exports are within the threshold that exempts some poor nations from strict rules that ban the...
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy....
Taking a look at the week ahead for the footwear and apparel industry, here is news editor Joe Ayling's snapshot of just-style's latest news and insights agenda....
US Trade Representative Ron Kirk has reiterated that a combination of enforcing trade rules and accessing new markets is key to creating US jobs and doubling exports over the next five years....
Free trade agreements struck between the European Union (EU), Peru and Colombia offer significant benefits to the clothing and textile sector, the European Commission has said....
European textile and clothing outsourcers and buyers are buoyed that the European Union (EU) has started free trade negotiations with key exporter Vietnam. ...
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022