US: Deckers Q3 profit boosted by Ugg surge
- Q3 net profit increases 48% to US$62.5m
- Net sales up 49% to $414.4m
- Raises FY guidance but warns of costs hike
Footwear business Deckers Outdoor Corporation raised its full-year guidance after third quarter profit rose 49%, driven by the continued strength of the Ugg brand.
Gross margin was up 1.9% to 49%, but president, CEO and chair of the board Angel Martinez warned that raw materials costs were poised to go up in the near future.
Ugg was responsible for the lion’s share of the revenue growth, surging up 47.3% to $376.7m, while international sales more than doubled to $156.4m and domestic revenues rose 26% to $257.9m.
Deckers’ retail sales increased 72% to $34.7m, with same store sales up 15.4% and ecommerce revenues rising 18.3%.
Martinez said domestic demand for Ugg had been driven by the introduction of new styles and collections, including more men’s products.
He added: “At the same time, our international sales more than doubled, fuelled by the growth in wholesale unit volumes in the UK and Benelux, coupled with an increase in sales resulting from our conversion to wholesale operation in these regions.”
Deckers now predicts full-year revenues up 33% (previous guidance was up 26%) and earnings per diluted share to increase 22%, compared to 17% previously.
Footwear company Deckers saw first-quarter net profits slump as higher costs hit margins. ...
Officials in the US have broken up two smuggling rings, and seized counterfeit apparel and footwear worth $325m, which was set to be illegally imported into the country....
The continued strength of its Ugg brand over the holidays has helped Deckers Outdoor Corporation to a 40% hike in fourth quarter profit, but the footwear firm also warned of "significant cost headwind...
Footwear firm Deckers Outdoor Corporation has reached a settlement with Tom Romeo and Romeo & Juliette, makers of Bearpaw boots, which it had sued for allegedly copying its best-selling Ugg brand....
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- COMMENT: The decline of the buying office
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Vietnam factories face fire safety challenge
- Wage theft of migrants in Thai apparel industry
- Triumph recalls 22,000 bras for underwire fault
- Investigation uncovers China's dog leather trade
- Nike shares slide on future orders in Q2
- Philippines added to European Union GSP+ scheme