US: Deckers warns on costs as Q4 profits jump 40%
- Q4 profit jumps 40% to $124.7m from $89.2m
- Net sales increased 40.4% to $603.9m
- Ugg brand sales up 37.7% to $568.5m
The continued strength of its Ugg brand over the holidays has helped Deckers Outdoor Corporation to a 40% hike in fourth quarter profit, but the footwear firm also warned of "significant cost headwinds" in the year ahead due to soaring sheepskin prices.
In its forecast for 2012, Deckers sees earnings flat with the year before, and revenue growth of 15%. While for the first quarter it expects a 50% drop in earnings and a jump of 19% in revenues.
"We continue to pursue all available opportunities to further mitigate the impact of cost pressures and based on our initial visibility, we expect to experience relief beginning in 2013," said chairman and CEO Angel Martinez.
He added that top-line growth, including a higher contribution from the Sanuk action sport and footwear brand acquired last July, will help offset the higher costs.
During the quarter to 31 December, the company posted a profit of $124.7m or $3.18 per share, up from $89.2m or $2.27 per share, in the same period last year - the highest in its history.
Net sales increased 40.4% to $603.9m, with Ugg brand sales up 37.7% to $568.5m and the Teva brand climbing 45.9% to $19.4m. Retail sales were up 36.5% to $98.8, international sales surged 178.6% to $147.6m, and domestic sales increased 21.0% to $456.3m.
But quarterly gross margin fell to 51.0% compared to 54.2% for the same period last year.
During the year, profit rose 25.9% to $199.1m or $5.07 per share, from $158.2m or $4.03 per share the year before. Net sales increased 37.6% to $1.377bn, with the Ugg brand up 37.6% to $1.2bn, and Teva climbing 23.1% to $124.8m.
US shoe manufacturer Deckers has seen its second-quarter losses widen after expenses more than offset rising sales....
Deckers' action outdoor brand Teva has launched its TevaSphere footwear collection, which claims to improve stability for athletes on rocky terrain. ...
Footwear company Deckers has appointed David Powers to the newly created role of president of its direct to consumer division, where he will be responsible for leading the firm's retail and e-commerce...
Footwear company Deckers Outdoor Corp will open its first Ugg for Men flagship store in New York today (6 June). ...
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis